Dürnstein Ruins!

Dürnstein Ruins!
Where King Richard the Lionheart was held captive during the Crusades!

Some music to enjoy as you read!


Quedlinburg, Germany!

Quedlinburg, Germany!
Sehr Schön or very beautiful!

About ME!

My photo
Hello and Welcome! I am the West Virginia IFYE this year and I am honored to be representing my state. For those of you that do not know me, I have just recently graduated from WVU with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Technology (Laboratory work!). I decided to apply to be the IFYE this year because I love to travel and meet new people, as well as give something back to the extraordinary 4-H program that I have been in my whole life. I am 23 years old and believe that this will be a life-changing experience! I am planning on posting blogs every week or so and hope to have pictures as well. So, I will to keep you up to date with my activities! I am new to this "blogging business," but it's worth a shot...here goes nothing!

My Timeline!

  • June 23rd-29th-Arrive in Germany and get oriented with the German IFYE Coordinators-Edith Schröder & Bettina Heinemann.
  • June 29th-July 19th-Familie Röhr 1st host family in Reinfeld, Germany
  • July 19th-August 11-Familie Bär-2nd host family in Hofheim, Germany
  • Aug. 11-Sept. 3rd-Familie Saudhof-3rd host family in Nelben, Germany
  • September 3rd-Flight to Cambridge, England to visit my mom's college friend as well as my friend to!!!
  • September 12th-Train trip to Willington, Derby to visit my grandmother!
  • September 19th-Flight to Austria!
  • December 8th-Flight back to the U.S.A!!!!! :)

Sunday, October 19, 2008

I am Hearing ALL Sounds of Music!

Austrians really do have many events centered around music and singing. In the last 4 days, I have been to 3 musical events. The first was on Thursday in Graz (local city), my host mother Eva and I went for the day to shop, and, of course, have coffee; but at 8, we went to a soccer stadium and took our seats. The stadium was packed and we had an evening of Austrian Marching Bands. But, this is different to the marching bands in America, there is a wider age-range, I think they allow anyone who wants to and is good enough to participate. However, this event had one band (the best band) from each of the 'states' (of which there are 9 in Austria)who each performed independently. Also, there were a few military bands as well as marching soldiers and riflemen who showed us their extreme synchronized movements (very impressive by the way)! All of the bands were excellent, it was a warm, October evening...so, we had a great time!

Next, I went with my host parents (Eva & Oskar) to my host sister Lea's (29yrs)singing concert on Friday evening. It was a small choir (12 persons), but they were wonderful. The evening was a mixture of the choir singing and a small orchestra playing songs from Mozart and other famous Austrian composers. My favorite part was the singing, but the entire evening was filled with musical perfection. The choir had a wide array of music, anything from the Austrian Folk ballads and English religious songs back to the use of an African Drum. It was a fancy event with good music and a great atmosphere, I enjoyed myself very much.

And finally, today, my host sister Sophie had a Austrian Marching Band Competition. Basically, the bands march down a small section of the street and are judged on sound and marching ability. I am sure it is much more complex than that, but I wasn't filled in with all the details, but you got the gist! It was ok, I felt like I was at a Hampshire County Fair Parade, with no floats and NO candy :( My host mom and I left before they announced the winner, but I don't think it was Sophie's band.

My host sister Sohie is having another concert on the 31st of October, when I will be with my next family nearer to Graz (not far away)and my host mother invited me. She said she would come and get me so that I could enjoy more of their Austrian Music. So, I am just getting all sorts of experience and knowledge about the extent to which Austrian people value and practice their music. So, I hope that my next host family will allow me, or rather, have nothing planned, in order for me to attend another Austrian Shindig!


2 comments:

World Traveler said...

AWESOME!!! Love the video..how do you do that???

WV IFYE 2008 said...

I am seriously gifted, that's how! Lol, well my camera has a video option and so I made a video...although, be aware...videos use lots of memory on your camera card.