Dürnstein Ruins!

Dürnstein Ruins!
Where King Richard the Lionheart was held captive during the Crusades!

Some music to enjoy as you read!


Quedlinburg, Germany!

Quedlinburg, Germany!
Sehr Schön or very beautiful!

About ME!

My photo
Hello and Welcome! I am the West Virginia IFYE this year and I am honored to be representing my state. For those of you that do not know me, I have just recently graduated from WVU with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Technology (Laboratory work!). I decided to apply to be the IFYE this year because I love to travel and meet new people, as well as give something back to the extraordinary 4-H program that I have been in my whole life. I am 23 years old and believe that this will be a life-changing experience! I am planning on posting blogs every week or so and hope to have pictures as well. So, I will to keep you up to date with my activities! I am new to this "blogging business," but it's worth a shot...here goes nothing!

My Timeline!

  • June 23rd-29th-Arrive in Germany and get oriented with the German IFYE Coordinators-Edith Schröder & Bettina Heinemann.
  • June 29th-July 19th-Familie Röhr 1st host family in Reinfeld, Germany
  • July 19th-August 11-Familie Bär-2nd host family in Hofheim, Germany
  • Aug. 11-Sept. 3rd-Familie Saudhof-3rd host family in Nelben, Germany
  • September 3rd-Flight to Cambridge, England to visit my mom's college friend as well as my friend to!!!
  • September 12th-Train trip to Willington, Derby to visit my grandmother!
  • September 19th-Flight to Austria!
  • December 8th-Flight back to the U.S.A!!!!! :)

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How to make an IFYE Happy = Chocolate!



My new host family, lives in Münchendorf, a small village on the outskirts of Vienna. I was delighted, that upon my exit from the train I was greeted with a BIG smile from my new host parents. I am always a bit nervous whether or not they will recognize me, since in the picture I sent I am rather 'made-up' and usually during my train trips between families I have just been many hours on the train, so am not looking the greatest. But, I guess it is always a pretty large hint, when I am the only one with lots of luggage, so I really have no need to worry. We packed the car and my host parents took me on a little tour of Möding. I was able to eat Castanian Nuts again and had my first experience with Glühwein, which is a hot mixture of wine, rum, cinnamon and other delicious ingredients put to a boil and the creation is utterly delightful; especially since it is much colder than where I was in Styria. My new host father calls most things medicine, so our Glühwein was not only medicinal it was also very satisfying on a cold winter night. I am looking forward to many more meetings with my new-found, Austrian Traditional Christmas Beverage. ;) However, as my new host father Peter so wisely puts it, it is good medicine with a little bit and too much has the reverse effect. We had a nice family meal and at the end I was surprised with a lovely Sachertorte cake (Austrian Cake sent all over the world) to welcome me into their household (pictured above). So, that is a great start to my family and final days in Austria!

We then drove about 15 minutes to Münchendorf, my new home for 2.5 weeks. I was introduced to the rest of the family; being Michael (11 yrs), Irina (9 yrs.) and the grandparents. They have an energetic dog Riki, which is a girl by the way and the typical lazy cat that coincidentally is named Garfield! I am staying on the 2nd floor with Oma and Opa and my room is entirely decorated in shining, frilly, lime green material. I am not, the girliest of girls, otherwise I would be in heaven...but I can't help but laugh everytime I enter my room. The bed is quite large, which is fabulous and I have plenty of space, but even so I do have to chuckle a bit. The house itself is U-shaped with a large courtyard in the middle which, for some reason, reminds me of Tuscany (even if I haven't been there yet, it is on the list though). My host family have many hectors of Sugar Beets, Wheat, Barley, Sunflowers and own a large compost business. On Tuesday, I helped with a few bookkeeping things and used a calculator, which had been many months since I had had one in my hand, quite a strange sensation. So, I do do a little work now and then with the families that host me; on Monday I cooked lunch for the workers on the farm and it turned out quite well. I am looking forward to sharing some of my new recipes when I arrive home for Christmas. As far as future plans, I am excited for Friday because I have bought a ticket to see the famous Lipizzaner Horse Show in Vienna. They are Spanish Horses that perform the best dressage in the world and it is the only school left in the world. For those of you who aren't familiar, dressage is the art or method of training a horse in obedience and in precision of movement. My mother told me that I couldn't leave Austria without seeing them, so I am scheduled to this Friday at 7 p.m. I am extremely excited and hope to have a video clip and lots of pictures to share. Then, on Saturday my first host family is picking me up to go to a 'Devil Fest,' I know...I was a little dubious in the beginning as well; but, in Ausria Kampus (The devil) is part of the Christmas Tradition, on the 5th of December St. Nikolo comes to bring every good child a gift and then, on the 6th Krampus visits the not-so-good children. I know that I am not explaining it as well as I will be able to at the end of the festival on Satuday, so more will come when I am fully educated! I am enjoying myself, but must confess that I am counting down the days until I am home with family and friends for the holidays and, as of today, I have 19 days! So a, not so subtle hint, everyone mark their calendars for my return on the 9th of December so you can start planning the 'Welcome Home' parties!!! ;)

No comments: